Sunday 6 October 2013

I've started my research into Kitchen appliances, and characters made out of items found in the kitchen.
I started my research by looking at what kind of products you find in the kitchen and I have found some which I think would make good characters.
I have also looked at characters which are already used, such as 'Mr Muscle' and 'Mr Sheen'
a lot of the characters used for cleaning products are superhero type characters, because of this I am going to keep away from the super hero theme and try and do something slightly more original.

Once I had looked at cleaning products I looked into different kitchen characters for appliances, I found a few animations which have inspired me and have given me good ideas.
One of these is a film called "The Brave Little Toaster" It's a film directed by Jerry rees. I think is this good for inspiration because they have put a lot of personality into the the toaster to create a believable character.

They also animated other appliances around the house, I think because this is a hand draw traditional animation it is easier to add character because you can add better facial expressions and use the squash and stretch technique to add more personality to make the characters believable.

Another TV program I have found is a CBBC program called "Ooglies" It was from a few years back. They used a lot of different characters but mostly food. They used goggly eyes stuck to real appliances and food to create cute like able characters. The program is a stop motion program and other than the stuck on eyes they only use movement to create personality. The characters don't even talk.
I think this program will be good to study to look at how I can make personality and feelings threw movement alone.




Even though they are simple characters I think the eyes make them quite cute.

I also looked at some other illustrators and artists, I didn't find much, but I did find some more kitchen characters which I could take inspiration from. They have given me some good ideas on what appliance could have what personality.
These are some adorable characters by Nicolette devenport. They don't have much expression but the eyes show the feelings of the characters.

I think this simple style is hard to pull off but can be extremely effective if it's done right.

This is some more characterized art by Tyson Manglesdorf I think the detail works well with this as well as the abstract shapes. I think he portrays characters really well. I think this would be hard to recreate in stop motion but it's good too look at the different characters. 







No comments:

Post a Comment