Monday 23 September 2013

Hey, really unsure of what we are meant to be writing in these blogs.



I've finished my 1 second animation for Tuesday (tomorrow). I thought I would focus on freshers because that's a big thing that's happened in my life recently.
I just did a simple flashing lights in a club, with silhouette dancers. I love the colours and the lights, but maybe if I had figured out how to make a strobe light without it looking to messy it could have been better.
I'm happy with the movements of my characters however, I think the shapes could have been better.
It took me ages to create smooth movements and have them all in a cycle.
I hope it's OK. I've not found any sound for it, because every song sounds awful for a second!

Here's the link to it on my YouTube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf9Xr_w1n2A&feature=youtu.be



I have also written my 100 word essay on Adam Elliot, 100 words is nothing! So it's kind of turned into 320 but I've written what I wanted to say. I think with more words I would be able to go into more detail and make more points. But I really love his films, so I may save him until the final essay, because the strong social issues he shows in his films could create a good debate.




ADAM ELLIOT
Adam Elliot is an Australian animator who is mostly based in Melbourne.
As well as animating he also directs and writes his own short and feature length films, a lot of his films are based on true stories and family events. He has films named ‘Uncle’, ‘Brother’ and ‘Cousin’, all of them based on his family experiences. However, they are slightly exaggerated but not so the stories are unrealistic. Adam Elliot has a very dark specific style, his films are for adults and touch upon extremely strong depressing subjects while keeping a slight funny ‘tongue and cheek’ edge to the films.
Most animation is used for children or humorous films but Elliot uses dark colors, tones and slow movements to give a muted sad feel. He does this so the animation can be taken seriously and the strong points can be put across.
In his animations he touches upon, mental illness, death, suicide and other bad things. I think the slow style in which he animates works really well with the themes and characters of the films, and even though some people might find them disturbing and miserable to watch. I enjoy the dark humor and powerful realism behind his films. http://media.ifcfilms.com/images/films/film-gallery-image/mary-max/still7.jpg
From this picture you can see the black and whites Elliot has used to create a depressing scene; the litter and the crooked lamp post also portray the sadness in the film. Adam Elliot’s films look good with slow scenes because so much detail is shown through the puppets and backgrounds. Through the exaggerated features on ‘Max’ you can see the dark misery of his life.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTR6m6888ZnojpxDlHhtZiVAGwLYs37LarAp1kLR3avOgYR3yA9
However, later on in the film when ‘Mary’ has given him the pompom, there is color. This contrast in colors shows how ‘Mary’ is a splash of color and happiness on his life while everything else is dull and sad. These subtle ideas and emotions Elliot portrays shows his great ability to direct and animate.


I hope I'm putting the right things in this blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment